This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is educating a young man with bipolar disorder who is staying at the homeless shelter. ... (Read 20 times)

roselinechinyere27m

The nurse is educating a young man with bipolar disorder who is staying at the homeless shelter.

He has recently been released from a detention center and has nowhere to live. In educating him about his lithium therapy, the nurse knows teaching has been effective when the client states:
  A) I need to restrict how much water I drink.
  B) I will take the lithium whenever I feel like I'm starting to get hyper.
  C) If the medicine makes me sleepy, I will come back to the clinic and tell the doctor.
  D) If I need money for food, I can always sell some of my medicine to someone else who needs it.

Question 2

A man who is homeless has sought care in the emergency department because of increasingly severe episodes of hemoptysis.

The nurse should be aware that urban homeless people have increased incidence of tuberculosis (TB) related to which of the following circumstances?
  A) Poor hygiene
  B) Crowded shelters
  C) Greater incidence of comorbid conditions
  D) High-risk behaviors

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

maaaaaaaaaa

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C
A homeless mentally ill client has special medication management needs. Many medications have sedating effects that place clients in danger when facing the vulnerability of street life. Because homeless people must stay consistently vigilant for safety reasons, they cannot afford drowsiness. Carrying medications also increases the risk of assault or theft because most medications have street value. The nurse also must caution clients against combining medications with alcohol and drugs. Nurses involve clients in medication management. The clients alone can determine when they have access to their medication, how they can carry the medication safely, and specific daily risk factors.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
TB is one disease increasing globally because of increases in HIV infection, poverty, poor nutrition, and crowded conditions. In the United States, cases of TB are rising in the homeless even though they are declining in the general population.

roselinechinyere27m

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

deja

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

Did you know?

As of mid-2016, 18.2 million people were receiving advanced retroviral therapy (ART) worldwide. This represents between 43–50% of the 34–39.8 million people living with HIV.

Did you know?

There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library