Author Question: A new nurse asks the experienced nurse who is caring for a battered woman client, Why did you ask ... (Read 33 times)

genevieve1028

A new nurse asks the experienced nurse who is caring for a battered woman client, Why did you ask about culture when it was obvious you needed to focus on the battering? The experi-enced nurse should respond:

1. It's just a habit I got into a while ago.
  2. It helps me focus on whether to do a complete physical assessment.
  3. Culture is a determinant of how women interpret and respond to violence.
  4. If I know more about her I can refer her to a shelter that caters to her ethnic group.

Question 2

The nurse is interviewing a client who presents with a dislocated shoulder. She demonstrates signs of anxiety and poor eye contact and turns to her partner for answers, allowing him to an-swer for her.

Bruises on her breast and upper arm are visible. The nurse asks the partner to go to the admitting office to give insurance information. While the partner is out of the room, which question is most important to ask?
  1. Have you been with your partner long?
  2. Have you ever been physically or emotionally hurt by someone?
  3. Are you an abused woman?
  4. Shall I notify the police that you would like to press charges?

Mochi

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 3
Understanding the woman's culture not only helps understand how the woman will view and respond to violence but also is essential to developing an effective treatment plan. Some ethnic women are isolated and would not be able to seek assistance from police or community agencies. Options 1, 2, and 4 are made-up responses and have no basis in theory or practice.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 2
When the victim is alone, the nurse must seek information about abuse. Phrasing the question to avoid use of such terms as abuse or battered is essential. These terms are too emotionally charged, and clients often respond in the negative. Option 1 is not a priority. Option 3 uses an emotionally charged term. Option 4 is premature.