This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A suicidal client tells the nurse, There's no other way out for me. I have so many problems that ... (Read 28 times)

asan beg

A suicidal client tells the nurse, There's no other way out for me. I have so many problems that there's nothing to do but cash it in. Which statement by the nurse would be a helpful approach?

1. I can see that things are bad. It's good you recognized your limitations.
  2. Let's look at the problem you consider most urgent to see if there's a solution.
  3. We'll begin problem solving together as soon as you stop feeling suicidal.
  4. Your thinking is depressed. We can teach you to think differently.

Question 2

To be maximally helpful to a newly admitted suicidal client on days 1 and 2 of hospitalization, the nurse will need the ability to:

1. Select appropriate community resources for referral
  2. Identify client areas of weakness and deficiency
  3. Tolerate expressions of client psychologic pain
  4. Refute delusional thinking by logical argument

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tsternbergh47

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
Option 2 is correct because the most effective intervention is to help the client prioritize problems and work on them one at a time. Option 1 is incorrect, since it affirms the negative, and option 3 is incorrect, since it places unrealistic demands on the client. Option 4 does not deal with the cli-ent's statement about problems.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
With a newly admitted client, listening to expressions of pain will be one of the first interven-tions for the nurse, so option 3 is correct. Option 1 is incorrect, since it is too soon to consider community resources. Option 2, identifying weaknesses, is not a helpful intervention for a sui-cidal client, and option 4 is incorrect, since there are no data concerning delusional thinking.

asan beg

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

sultana.d

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library