This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has been hospitalized with problems related to AIDS and is experiencing pro-found ... (Read 36 times)

jon_i

A patient has been hospitalized with problems related to AIDS and is experiencing pro-found dementia. Which intervention will be most helpful in assisting the family to adjust and plan for the patient's future?

a. Provide information on available support groups.
  b. Encourage placement of the patient in an adult care home.
  c. Explain the importance of engaging in social activities with friends.
  d. Advise the family to focus on present rather than possible future problems.

Question 2

The nurse manager is interviewing staff to work on the AIDS unit and asks the applicants this question: How do you feel about working with patients who have AIDS? The best candidate for the position would be the applicant who responds:

a. I firmly believe there will soon be a cure for AIDS.
  b. I believe that everyone is worthy of the best care I can provide.
  c. I have done extensive research on AIDS and understand the disease.
  d. I know I will have to be more careful, especially with injections and IVs.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Heffejeff

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Associating with others who are experiencing similar problems is most helpful. The family will receive needed information and support. An adult care home would not be a suitable placement. Social involvement with others is not as high a priority as receiving support and information. This is not appropriate, because a plan for care that considers future deteriora-tion must evolve.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
This response shows a belief in the worth and dignity of each patient. It suggests that the nurse will be able to be accepting and nonjudgmental. One option shows a lack of under-standing of universal precautions. The other options do not answer the question or sidesteps the issue.

jon_i

Heffejeff

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

Your heart beats over 36 million times a year.

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library