Author Question: A client, age 54, has been hospitalized with problems related to AIDS and is experiencing pro-found ... (Read 20 times)

beccaep

A client, age 54, has been hospitalized with problems related to AIDS and is experiencing pro-found dementia. Which intervention by the nurse will be most helpful in assisting the family to adjust and plan for the client's future?

1. Provide information on available support groups
  2. Encourage placement of the client in an adult care home
  3. Explain the importance of engaging in social activities with friends
  4. Advise the family to focus on present rather than future problems

Question 2

While being bathed by the nurse, a client with AIDS asks the nurse, Aren't you afraid of getting this disease from me? Which response would be most therapeutic?

1. You sound surprised that I want to spend time with you.
  2. No, I always use universal precautions.
  3. Statistics show that few nurses get AIDS from their clients.
  4. I firmly belief that whatever will be, will be.

okolip

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 1
Associating with others who are experiencing similar problems is most helpful. The family will receive needed information and support. 2. An adult care home would not be a suitable place-ment. 3. Social involvement with others is not as high a priority as receiving support and infor-mation. 4. This is not appropriate, since a plan for care that considers future deterioration must evolve.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1
This response reflects the client's feelings and encourages communication. The other options do not respond to the client's feelings.