This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with suspected seasonal affective disorder asks the nurse, I've been feeling down for 3 ... (Read 78 times)

mpobi80

A patient with suspected seasonal affective disorder asks the nurse, I've been feeling down for 3 months. Will I ever feel like myself again? The response that builds on an understanding of this disorder is:

a. Spontaneous improvement usually comes in 6 months to a year.
  b. Can you tell me what you mean when you say feel like myself'?
  c. People who have seasonal mood changes often feel better when spring comes.
  d. Usually patients with this disorder see improvement during the fall and winter.

Question 2

Which nursing diagnosis would relate to the primary nursing concern related to a recently written prescription for amitriptyline (Elavil) 50 mg tid?

a. Anxiety
  b. Ineffective coping
  c. Risk for self-injury
  d. Chronic low self-esteem

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Jbrasil

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Seasonal affective disorder is a condition in which the patient experiences depression begin-ning in the fall, lasting throughout the winter, and remitting in spring in the northern hemi-sphere. Fall and winter is not reflective of any diagnostic category of mood disorder. Spon-taneous improvement occurs only with the change of seasons and available sunlight. Ques-tioning is a response that does not address the point of understanding SAD.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Patients with depression are at increased risk for suicide when they have been on antidepres-sant medication for 2 weeks, because they are regaining some energy but may not have achieved full therapeutic effect with mood improvement. Poor coping is important but it is not the priority. Evidence of noncompliance is lacking. The medication is not prescribed for anxiety disorders.

mpobi80

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

dawsa925

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

Walt Disney helped combat malaria by making an animated film in 1943 called The Winged Scourge. This short film starred the seven dwarfs and taught children that mosquitos transmit malaria, which is a very bad disease. It advocated the killing of mosquitos to stop the disease.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library