This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is being evaluated for a possible diagnosis of panic disorder with agoraphobia. Which ... (Read 22 times)

panfilo

A patient is being evaluated for a possible diagnosis of panic disorder with agoraphobia. Which nursing assessment findings support this diagnosis? Select all that apply.

a. Patient states, I've had these fears for more than 6 years.
  b. Patient describes having a panic attack several times a month.
  c. Patient is embarrassed by the limitations the disorder causes.
  d. Stated, I never even think about going shopping in a crowded mall.
  e. Condition began after beginning treatment for a chronic intestinal problem.

Question 2

A patient with OCD tells the nurse, Thinking these thoughts and doing all my rituals is beyond being silly.

I have few friends and I know others laugh behind my back. I sometimes think I can control things, but I always find I can't. I don't know if I can continue to live this way. Which assessment question shows the nurse has an understanding of this patient's priority risk?
  a. Are you feeling hopeless?
  b. Do you think you are socially isolated?
  c. Have you been thinking about hurting yourself?
  d. Do the rituals affect how you feel about yourself?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fur

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, B, C, D
To meet the first DSM-IV-TR criterion for panic disorder with agoraphobia, the person must experience recurrent, unexpected panic attacks, with at least one attack followed by one of the following for a month: (1) persistent concern about having additional attacks; (2) worry about the implications of the panic attacks; or (3) a significant change in behavior as a result of the attacks. The second criterion is that the individual experiences agoraphobia. Agora-phobic fears typically involve being in a crowd. The third criterion is that the person avoids agoraphobic situations or has anxiety about having a panic attack. This person will not go to an area or event where he or she has experienced an agoraphobic reaction. The fourth criteri-on states that panic attacks are not caused by the direct effects of a substance, a medication, or a medical condition.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Patients with anxiety disorders should always be assessed for the presence of depression and suicidal ideation, the priority risk to safety. This patient has admitted feeling powerless to control the symptoms, in addition to wondering if she can continue to live the way she has been. There is ample reason for asking about suicidal ideation. The remaining options address hopelessness, social isolation, and low self-esteem. While appropriate nursing concerns, they don't have the priority self-harm has for this patient.

panfilo

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

dyrone

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

About 100 new prescription or over-the-counter drugs come into the U.S. market every year.

Did you know?

The most dangerous mercury compound, dimethyl mercury, is so toxic that even a few microliters spilled on the skin can cause death. Mercury has been shown to accumulate in higher amounts in the following types of fish than other types: swordfish, shark, mackerel, tilefish, crab, and tuna.

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

Side effects from substance abuse include nausea, dehydration, reduced productivitiy, and dependence. Though these effects usually worsen over time, the constant need for the substance often overcomes rational thinking.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library