This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse shows an understanding of an essential purpose of therapeutic communication when (select ... (Read 26 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

The nurse shows an understanding of an essential purpose of therapeutic communication when (select all that apply):

a. Asking the patient, How did it make you feel when your son died?
  b. Encouraging the patient to assume responsibility for the problems he or she has
  c. Attentively listening as the patient describes the reasons he or she is seeking help
  d. Providing the patient with feedback regarding how he or she is implementing stress relief techniques
  e. Sharing with the patient the details of several extremely stressful personal events and how they were managed

Question 2

What statements indicate that the patient has an understanding of assertive behavior? Se-lect all that apply.

a. Always stand up for your own rights.
  b. I say what it takes to make my wishes known.
  c. Talking really loud seems to get the focus on me.
  d. I'm not uncomfortable telling someone No' when I need to.
  e. You don't have to ignore the rights of others to stand up for yourself.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Mollythedog

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, C, D
Therapeutic communication has three essential purposes: (1) to allow the patient to express thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and life experiences in a meaningful way to promote healthy growth; (2) to understand the significance of the patient's problems and the roles that the pa-tient and the significant people in his or her life play in perpetuating those problems; and (3) to assist with the identification and resolution processes of the patient's health-related be-haviors. Encouraging the patient to assume responsibility for his or her problems may not be appropriate in all cases and it is not appropriate for the nurse to share personal information even if it relates to a problem similar to the patient's.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A, D, E
The assertive person defends their personal rights while respecting the rights of others and is not uncomfortable saying no when they are feeling oppressed. The remaining options are more characteristic of aggressive behavior.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

pratush dev

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Approximately one in three babies in the United States is now delivered by cesarean section. The number of cesarean sections in the United States has risen 46% since 1996.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

The most common childhood diseases include croup, chickenpox, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, ringworm, respiratory syncytial virus, scabies, head lice, and asthma.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library