This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which comments by a nurse demonstrate use of therapeutic communication techniques? Select all that ... (Read 39 times)

bobbie

Which comments by a nurse demonstrate use of therapeutic communication techniques? Select all that apply.

a. Why do you think these events have happened to you?
  b. There are people with problems much worse than yours.
  c. I'm glad you were able to tell me how you felt about your loss.
  d. I noticed your hands trembling when you told me about your accident.
  e. You look very nice today. I'm proud you took more time with your appearance.

Question 2

A patient with acute depression states, God is punishing me for my past sins. What is the nurse's most therapeutic response?

a. You sound very upset about this.
  b. God always forgives us for our sins.
  c. Why do you think you are being punished?
  d. If you feel this way, you should talk to your minister.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tashiedavis420

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C, D
The correct responses demonstrate use of the therapeutic techniques making an observation and showing empathy. The incorrect responses demonstrate minimizing feelings, probing, and giving approval, which are non-therapeutic techniques.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The nurse reflects the patient's comment, a therapeutic technique to encourage sharing for perceptions and feelings. The incorrect responses reflect probing, closed-ended comments, and giving advice, all of which are non-therapeutic.

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library