Author Question: A common mistake nurses make when developing therapeutic communication techniques is a. using too ... (Read 62 times)

savannahhooper

A common mistake nurses make when developing therapeutic communication techniques is

a. using too many different techniques during an interaction.
  b. allowing patients to become too anxious before responding.
  c. giving advice rather than encouraging patients to solve problems.
  d. focusing on what patients say rather than on communication techniques.

Question 2

An adolescent is hospitalized after a violent physical outburst and tells the nurse, I'm going to kill my parents, but you can't tell them. Select the nurse's initial response.

a. You're right. Federal law requires me to keep information private.
  b. Those kinds of threats will make your hospitalization longer.
  c. You really should share this thought with your psychiatrist.
  d. I am required to talk to the treatment team about your threats.

kswal303

Answer to Question 1

C
Giving advice is a common pitfall for nurses who are unsure of how to encourage patients to become involved in analyzing and problem solving. The other options are incorrect, because most novice nurses tend to rely heavily on direct questions, avoid anxiety-producing topics, and focus on communication techniques.

Answer to Question 2

D
Breach of nursepatient confidentiality does not pose a legal dilemma for nurses in these circumstances, because a team approach to delivery of psychiatric care presumes communication of patient information to other staff members to develop treatment plans and outcome criteria. The patient should know that the team may have to warn the patient's parents of the risk for harm.