This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is caring for a client with somatic symptom disorder. When assessing this client, the nurse ... (Read 56 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

A nurse is caring for a client with somatic symptom disorder. When assessing this client, the nurse would be especially alert for symptoms of which of the following?

A) Depression
  B) Avoidant personality disorder
  C) Delirium
  D) Bipolar disorder

Question 2

A nursing instructor is describing somatic symptom disorder to a group of nursing students. The instructor determines that the education was successful when the students state which of the following?

A) The disorder typically is diagnosed in men.
  B) The first symptom usually appears during adolescence.
  C) The disorder commonly occurs with substance abuse.
  D) Highly educated individuals often develop this disorder.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Tonyam972

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
Somatic symptom disorder frequently coexists with other psychiatric disorders, most commonly depression and anxiety. Other less common comorbidities include panic disorder, mania, social phobia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, psychotic disorders, and personality disorders.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
Complex somatic symptom disorder typically has an onset before age 30 years, with the first symptom often appearing during adolescence. The disorder is diagnosed more often in women and occurs most often with depression and anxiety. Epidemiologic studies reveal that the disorder occurs primarily in nonwhite, less educated women, particularly those with lower socioeconomic status and high emotional stress.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

chjcharjto14

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

During the twentieth century, a variant of the metric system was used in Russia and France in which the base unit of mass was the tonne. Instead of kilograms, this system used millitonnes (mt).

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library