Author Question: A nurse is assessing a client for somatic symptom disorder. Which client statement would the nurse ... (Read 18 times)

xclash

A nurse is assessing a client for somatic symptom disorder. Which client statement would the nurse interpret as most likely supporting this diagnosis?

A) It's like my foot is asleep all the time; I can't feel anything that touches my foot.
  B) I'm losing weight no matter what or how much I eat.
  C) I am always in pain; there is nothing I can do to relieve it.
  D) It seems like I am always having diarrhea at the most inconvenient times.

Question 2

A nurse is reviewing the medical history of a client diagnosed with somatic symptom disorder. Which of the following would the nurse expect to find as a comorbid condition?

A) Depression
  B) Bipolar disorder
  C) Thought disorder
  D) Sleep disorder

catron30

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C
With somatic symptom disorder, the client may complain of various symptoms. However, pain is the most common complaint.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A
Somatic symptoms disorder frequently coexists with other psychiatric disorders, most commonly depression and anxiety. Others include panic disorder, mania, social phobia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, psychotic disorders, and personality disorders (van Dijke, Ford, van der Hart, van Son, van der Heijden, & Bhring, 2010). Older adults are particularly high risk for comorbid depression (Spangenberg, Forkmann, Brahler, & Glaesmer, 2011).