Author Question: A client with depression asks a nurse about possible herbal supplements. Which of the following ... (Read 43 times)

s.tung

A client with depression asks a nurse about possible herbal supplements. Which of the following would the nurse identify as being commonly used?

A) Valerian
  B) St. John's wort
  C) Kava
  D) Melatonin

Question 2

After teaching a client who is prescribed imipramine about the drug, the nurse determines that the education was effective when the client states which of the following?

A) I need to be careful because the drug can make me sleepy.
  B) I don't have to worry about getting dizzy when I get up from lying down.
  C) I might notice some excess saliva in my mouth at different times.
  D) I need to avoid foods with fiber because diarrhea can occur.

kjohnson

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
St. John's wort is an herbal supplement commonly used for depression. Valerian is a common ingredient in products promoted for insomnia and nervousness. Kava is used to reduce anxiety. Melatonin is used to treat insomnia and prevent jet lag.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A
Imipramine is a tricyclic antidepressant and is associated with sedation, orthostatic hypertension, and anticholinergic effects such as dry mouth and constipation. The client needs to be careful with activities because the drug is sedating. The client should change positions slowly to minimize orthostatic hypotension. Sugarless candies, good oral hygiene, and frequent rinsing of the mouth are helpful to combat dry mouth. A high fiber intake would be appropriate to decrease possible constipation.