This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A hospitalized client diagnosed with depression asks a nurse, Should I go home this weekend? Which ... (Read 77 times)

asmith134

A hospitalized client diagnosed with depression asks a nurse, Should I go home this weekend? Which response by the nurse uses the technique of reflection?

A) Should you go home for the weekend?
  B) Home means what to you?
  C) It sounds as if you don't want to go home this weekend.
  D) I doubt that you really should go home this weekend.

Question 2

When engaged in therapeutic communication with a client who has a mental disorder, which of the following is the most important for a nurse to keep in mind?

A) The nurse should self-disclose when indicated.
  B) The client is the primary focus of the interaction.
  C) The nurse should have an empathetic relationship with the client.
  D) The client's conversations should be recorded.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mjenn52

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
Reflection is used when a client wants a nurse's approval or judgment. The statement by the nurse that uses reflection is, Should you go home for the weekend? This allows the client the opportunity to discuss the matter further. The question, Home means what to you? seeks clarification. The statement, It sounds as if you don't want to go home this weekend reflects the technique of interpretation. The statement, I doubt that you really should go home offers the nurse's opinion and is judgmental.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
A fundamental principle of therapeutic communication is that the client must be the focus of the interaction. Self-disclosure should be avoided. Empathy is important and develops over time as the nurse receives information from the client with open, nonjudgmental acceptance. The nurse communicates this understanding of the experience so that the client feels understood. Conversations with clients should be kept confidential.

asmith134

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

mcarey591

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

People often find it difficult to accept the idea that bacteria can be beneficial and improve health. Lactic acid bacteria are good, and when eaten, these bacteria improve health and increase longevity. These bacteria included in foods such as yogurt.

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

Did you know?

About 60% of newborn infants in the United States are jaundiced; that is, they look yellow. Kernicterus is a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice. When babies begin to be affected by excessive jaundice and begin to have brain damage, they become excessively lethargic.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library