This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient reports good results from taking an herb to manage migraine headache pain. The nurse ... (Read 32 times)

@Brianna17

A patient reports good results from taking an herb to manage migraine headache pain. The nurse confirms there are no hazardous interactions between the herb and the patient's current prescription drugs. Select the nurse's best comment to the patient. a.

a. Thanks for telling me. I'll make a note in your medical record that you take it.
  b. You are experiencing a placebo effect. When we believe something will help, it usually does.
  c. Self-management of health problems can be dangerous. You should have notified me sooner.
  d. Research studies show that herbals actually increase migraine pain by inflaming nerve cells in the brain.

Question 2

A patient says, I have taken megadoses of vitamin E for 3 months to improve my circulation, but I think I feel worse. Which action should the nurse take first?

a. Explain to the patient that megadoses may be harmful and advise caution.
  b. Assess the patient for symptoms and signs of toxicity from excess vitamin exposure.
  c. Assess for signs of circulatory integrity to determine whether improvement has occurred.
  d. Educate the patient that research has not shown that megadoses of vitamins produce benefits.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Fayaz00962

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The nurse should reinforce the patient for reporting use of the herb. Many patients keep secrets about use of alternative therapies. If it poses no danger, the nurse can document the use. The patient may also get placebo effect from the herb, but it is not necessary for the nurse to point out that information. The distracters are judgmental and may discourage the patient from openly sharing in the future.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Megadoses of many vitamins, especially when taken over long periods, may produce dangerous side effects or toxicity. The priority for the nurse is to assess for signs of any dangerous consequences of the patient's use of such a regimen. Secondary interventions would include patient education about research findings related to the practice, along with any benefits and undesired effects associated with the practice. A health care provider should also assess the patient for cardiovascular concerns.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

Human stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve small pieces of metal such as razor blades or staples.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library