This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A group begins the working phase. One member has a childhood history of neglect and ridicule by ... (Read 38 times)

A group begins the working phase. One member has a childhood history of neglect and ridicule by parents. Which comment would the group leader expect from this member?

a. My boss is always expecting more of me than the others, but talking to him would only make it worse.
  b. I'm sorry for talking all the time, but there is so much going on in my life. I can't remember what I already said.
  c. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Maybe some of them will help. It won't hurt to give them a try.
  d. This group is stupid. Nobody here can help anybody else because we are all so confused. It's a waste.

Question 2

A group is in the working phase. One member says, That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Everyone whines and tells everyone else what to do. This group is a total waste of my time. Which comment by the group leader would be most therapeutic?

a. You seem to think you know a lot already. Since you know so much, perhaps you can tell everyone why you are back in the hospital?
  b. I think you have made your views clear, but I wonder if others feel the same way. How does everyone else feel about our group?
  c. It must be hard to be so angry. Direct this comment to another group member, You were also angry at first but not now. What has helped you?
  d. I would like to remind you that one of our group rules is that everyone is to offer only positive responses to the comments of others.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

recede

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
People who frequently complain, yet reject help or suggestions when offered, tend to have histories of severe deprivation as children, often accompanied by neglect or abuse. The other comments reflect dynamics other than the help-rejecting complainer, such as the monopolizer who apologizes for talking too much, the person who is insightful and agrees to try a peer's suggestion, and the demoralizing member.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The member's comments demean the group and its members and suggest that the member is very angry. Labeling the emotion and conveying empathy would be therapeutic. Focusing on members who are likely to be more positive can balance the influence of demoralizing members. You seem to know a lot conveys hostility from the leader, who confronts and challenges the member to explain how he came to be readmitted if he was so knowledgeable, implying that he is less knowledgeable than he claims. This comment suggests countertransference and is non-therapeutic. Shifting away from the complaining member to see if others agree seeks to have others express disagreement with this member, but that might not happen. In the face of his anger, they might be quiet or afraid to oppose him, or they could respond in kind by expressing hostility themselves. A rule that only positive exchanges are permitted would suppress conflict, reducing the effectiveness of the therapy group.

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

kjohnson

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The average person is easily confused by the terms pharmaceutics and pharmacology, thinking they are one and the same. Whereas pharmaceutics is the science of preparing and dispensing drugs (otherwise known as the science of pharmacy), pharmacology is the study of medications.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

For pediatric patients, intravenous fluids are the most commonly cited products involved in medication errors that are reported to the USP.

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

Did you know?

Cytomegalovirus affects nearly the same amount of newborns every year as Down syndrome.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library