This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient in a group therapy session listens to others and then remarks, I used to think I was the ... (Read 29 times)

go.lag

A patient in a group therapy session listens to others and then remarks, I used to think I was the only one who felt afraid. I guess I'm not as alone as I thought. This comment is an example of:

a. altruism.
  b. ventilation.
  c. universality.
  d. group cohesiveness.

Question 2

During group therapy, one patient says to another, When I first started in this group, you were unable to make a decision, but now you can. You've made a lot of progress. I am beginning to think that maybe I can conquer my fears too.

Which therapeutic factor is evident by this statement?

a. Hope
  b. Altruism
  c. Catharsis
  d. Cohesiveness

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tdewitt

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Realizing that one is not alone and that others share the same problems and feelings is called universality. Ventilation refers to expressing emotions. Altruism refers to benefitting by being of help to others. Group cohesiveness refers to the degree of bonding among members of the group.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The patient's profession that he may be able to learn to cope more effectively reflects hope. Groups can instill hope in individuals who are demoralized or pessimistic. Altruism refers to doing good for others, which can result in positive feelings about oneself. Catharsis refers to venting of strong emotions. Cohesion refers to coming together and developing a connection with other group members.

go.lag

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

zacnyjessica

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

As many as 28% of hospitalized patients requiring mechanical ventilators to help them breathe (for more than 48 hours) will develop ventilator-associated pneumonia. Current therapy involves intravenous antibiotics, but new antibiotics that can be inhaled (and more directly treat the infection) are being developed.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library