Author Question: Which characteristics best qualify a nurse for employment as a forensic psychiatric nurse? Select ... (Read 35 times)

Which characteristics best qualify a nurse for employment as a forensic psychiatric nurse? Select all that apply.

a. Incorporation of street smarts into clinical practice
  b. Comfortable in a variety of practice settings
  c. Desire to punish perpetrators of crime
  d. Able to think clearly under stress
  e. Autonomous and self-sufficient
  f. Critical care skills

Question 2

A patient tells members of a therapy group, I hear voices saying my doctor is poisoning me. Another patient replies, I used to hear voices too. They sounded real, but I found out later they were not. The voices you hear are not real either.

Which therapeutic factor is exemplified in this interchange?

a. Catharsis
  b. Universality
  c. Imitative behavior
  d. Interpersonal learning

lauravaras

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, B, D, E
Forensic nursing requires the ability to address the issues and provide care in a truly neutral manner. All forensic nurses, whatever their specific title or responsibilities, must therefore be objective and not be motivated by any personal beliefs about what should or should not happen to patients involved in the criminal justice system. Street smarts can be a desirable trait in working with perpetrators, especially in hostage negotiation situations. Forensic nurses practice in a wide variety of nontraditional settings. While forensic nurses are often members of teams, autonomy and self-sufficiency are important traits. Forensic nurses do not need critical care skills.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Here a member gains insight into his own experiences from hearing about the experiences of others through interpersonal learning. Catharsis refers to a therapeutic discharge of emotions. Universality refers to members realizing their feelings are common to most people and not abnormal. Imitative behavior involves copying or borrowing the adaptive behavior of others.