Author Question: A victim of a sexual assault that occurred approximately 1 hour earlier sits in the emergency ... (Read 22 times)

ap345

A victim of a sexual assault that occurred approximately 1 hour earlier sits in the emergency department rocking back and forth and repeatedly saying, I can't believe I've been raped.

This behavior is characteristic of which phase of the rape trauma syndrome?

a. Acute phase
  b. Outward adjustment phase
  c. Long-term reorganization phase
  d. Anger phase

Question 2

A rape victim tells the emergency department nurse, I feel so dirty. Please let me take a shower before the doctor examines me. The nurse should:

a. arrange for the patient to shower.
  b. explain that washing would destroy evidence.
  c. give the patient a basin of hot water and towels.
  d. instruct the victim to wash above the waist only.

LP

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The victim's response is typical of the acute phase and evidences cognitive, affective, and behavioral disruptions. The response is immediate and does not include a display of behaviors suggestive of the outward adjustment, long-term, or anger phase.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
No matter how uncomfortable, the patient should not bathe until the forensic examination is completed. The collection of evidence is critical if the patient is to be successful in court. The incorrect options would result in the destruction of evidence or are untrue.