Author Question: Which statement is a nurse most likely to hear from a patient with anorexia nervosa? a. I'm fat ... (Read 24 times)

jenna1

Which statement is a nurse most likely to hear from a patient with anorexia nervosa?

a. I'm fat and ugly.
  b. I have nice eyes.
  c. I'm thin for my height.
  d. My parents don't pay much attention to me.

Question 2

Physical assessment of a patient with bulimia often reveals:

a. prominent parotid glands.
  b. peripheral edema.
  c. thin, brittle hair.
  d. amenorrhea.

IAPPLET

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients with eating disorders have distorted body images; they see themselves as overweight even when their weight is subnormal. I'm thin for my height is therefore unlikely to be heard from a patient with anorexia nervosa. Poor self-image precludes making positive statements about self, such as I have nice eyes. Many patients with eating disorders see supportive others as intrusive and out of tune with their needs.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Prominent parotid glands are associated with repeated vomiting. The other options are signs of anorexia nervosa and are not usually observed in bulimia.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

IAPPLET

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

A serious new warning has been established for pregnant women against taking ACE inhibitors during pregnancy. In the study, the risk of major birth defects in children whose mothers took ACE inhibitors during the first trimester was nearly three times higher than in children whose mothers didn't take ACE inhibitors. Physicians can prescribe alternative medications for pregnant women who have symptoms of high blood pressure.

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library