This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who fears serious heart disease was referred to the mental health center by a cardiologist ... (Read 33 times)

Bob-Dole

A patient who fears serious heart disease was referred to the mental health center by a cardiologist after extensive diagnostic evaluation showed no physical illness. The patient says, I have tightness in my chest and my heart misses beats.

I'm frequently absent from work. I don't go out much because I need to rest. Which health problem is most likely?

a. Dysthymic disorder
  b. Antisocial personality disorder
  c. Simple somatic symptom disorder
  d. Prominent health anxiety (hypochondriasis)

Question 2

A patient has blindness related to a functional neurological (conversion) disorder. To help the patient eat, the nurse should:

a. establish a buddy system with other patients who can feed the patient at each meal.
  b. expect the patient to feed him- or herself after explaining the arrangement of the food on the tray.
  c. direct the patient to locate items on the tray independently and feed self unassisted.
  d. address the needs of other patients in the dining room, and then feed this patient.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Dominic

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Prominent health anxiety (hypochondriasis) involves a preoccupation with fears of having a serious disease, even when evidence to the contrary is available. The preoccupation causes impairment in social or occupational functioning. Simple somatic symptom disorder involves fewer symptoms. Dysthymic disorder is a disorder of lowered mood. Antisocial disorder applies to a personality disorder in which the individual has little regard for the rights of others.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The patient is expected to maintain some level of independence by feeding him- or herself, whereas the nurse is supportive in a matter-of-fact way. The distracters support dependency or offer little support.

Bob-Dole

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Dinolord

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

Autoimmune diseases occur when the immune system destroys its own healthy tissues. When this occurs, white blood cells cannot distinguish between pathogens and normal cells.

Did you know?

Dogs have been used in studies to detect various cancers in human subjects. They have been trained to sniff breath samples from humans that were collected by having them breathe into special tubes. These people included 55 lung cancer patients, 31 breast cancer patients, and 83 cancer-free patients. The dogs detected 54 of the 55 lung cancer patients as having cancer, detected 28 of the 31 breast cancer patients, and gave only three false-positive results (detecting cancer in people who didn't have it).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library