This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who fears serious heart disease was referred to the mental health center by a cardiologist ... (Read 34 times)

Bob-Dole

A patient who fears serious heart disease was referred to the mental health center by a cardiologist after extensive diagnostic evaluation showed no physical illness. The patient says, I have tightness in my chest and my heart misses beats.

I'm frequently absent from work. I don't go out much because I need to rest. Which health problem is most likely?

a. Dysthymic disorder
  b. Antisocial personality disorder
  c. Simple somatic symptom disorder
  d. Prominent health anxiety (hypochondriasis)

Question 2

A patient has blindness related to a functional neurological (conversion) disorder. To help the patient eat, the nurse should:

a. establish a buddy system with other patients who can feed the patient at each meal.
  b. expect the patient to feed him- or herself after explaining the arrangement of the food on the tray.
  c. direct the patient to locate items on the tray independently and feed self unassisted.
  d. address the needs of other patients in the dining room, and then feed this patient.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Dominic

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Prominent health anxiety (hypochondriasis) involves a preoccupation with fears of having a serious disease, even when evidence to the contrary is available. The preoccupation causes impairment in social or occupational functioning. Simple somatic symptom disorder involves fewer symptoms. Dysthymic disorder is a disorder of lowered mood. Antisocial disorder applies to a personality disorder in which the individual has little regard for the rights of others.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The patient is expected to maintain some level of independence by feeding him- or herself, whereas the nurse is supportive in a matter-of-fact way. The distracters support dependency or offer little support.

Bob-Dole

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

TheNamesImani

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

Although the Roman numeral for the number 4 has always been taught to have been "IV," according to historians, the ancient Romans probably used "IIII" most of the time. This is partially backed up by the fact that early grandfather clocks displayed IIII for the number 4 instead of IV. Early clockmakers apparently thought that the IIII balanced out the VIII (used for the number 8) on the clock face and that it just looked better.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library