Author Question: A patient approaches the nurse and impatiently blurts out, You've got to help me Something terrible ... (Read 6 times)

penza

A patient approaches the nurse and impatiently blurts out, You've got to help me Something terrible is happening. My heart is pounding. The nurse responds, It's almost time for visiting hours. Let's get your hair combed.

Which approach has the nurse used?

a. Distracting technique to lower anxiety
  b. Bringing up an irrelevant topic
  c. Responding to physical needs
  d. Addressing false cognitions

Question 2

A patient who is experiencing moderate anxiety says, I feel undone. An appropriate response for the nurse would be:

a. Why do you suppose you are feeling anxious?
  b. What would you like me to do to help you?
  c. I'm not sure I understand. Give me an example.
  d. You must get your feelings under control before we can continue.

deja

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The nurse has closed off patient-centered communication. The introduction of an irrelevant topic makes the nurse feel better. The nurse is uncomfortable dealing with the patient's severe anxiety.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Increased anxiety results in scattered thoughts and an inability to articulate clearly. Clarification helps the patient identify his or her thoughts and feelings. Asking the patient why he or she feels anxious is nontherapeutic, and the patient will not likely have an answer. The patient may be unable to determine what he or she would like the nurse to do to help. Telling the patient to get his or her feelings under control is a directive the patient is probably unable to accomplish.