Author Question: Six months ago, a woman had a prophylactic double mastectomy because of a family history of breast ... (Read 15 times)

shofmannx20

Six months ago, a woman had a prophylactic double mastectomy because of a family history of breast cancer. One week ago, this woman learned her husband was involved in an extramarital affair. The woman tearfully says to the nurse, What else can happen?

What type of crisis is this person experiencing?

a. Maturational
  b. Adventitious
  c. Situational
  d. Recurring

Question 2

A woman said, I can't take anymore Last year my husband had an affair, and now we don't communicate. Three months ago, I found a lump in my breast. Yesterday my daughter said she's quitting college. What is the nurse's priority assessment?

a. Identify measures useful to help improve the couple's communication.
  b. The patient's feelings about the possibility of having a mastectomy
  c. Whether the husband is still engaged in an extramarital affair
  d. Clarify what the patient means by I can't take anymore.

Silverbeard98

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
A situational crisis arises from an external source and involves a loss of self-concept or self-esteem. An adventitious crisis is a crisis of disaster, such as a natural disaster or crime of violence. Maturational crisis occurs as an individual arrives at a new stage of development, when old coping styles may be ineffective. No classification of recurring crisis exists.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
During crisis intervention, the priority concern is patient safety. This question helps assess personal coping skills. The other options are incorrect because the focus of crisis intervention is on the event that occurred immediately before the patient sought help.