This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse and patient construct a no-suicide contract. Select the preferable wording. a. I will not ... (Read 22 times)

gonzo233

A nurse and patient construct a no-suicide contract. Select the preferable wording.

a. I will not try to harm myself during the next 24 hours.
  b. I will not make a suicide attempt while I am hospitalized.
  c. For the next 24 hours, I will not in any way attempt to harm or kill myself.
  d. I will not kill myself until I call my primary nurse or a member of the staff.

Question 2

A tearful, anxious patient at the outpatient clinic reports, I should be dead. The initial task of the nurse conducting the assessment interview is to:

a. assess lethality of suicide plan.
  b. encourage expression of anger.
  c. establish rapport with the patient.
  d. determine risk factors for suicide.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kiamars2010

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The correct answer leaves no loopholes. The wording about not harming oneself and not making an attempt leaves loopholes or can be ignored by the patient who thinks I am not going to harm myself, I am going to kill myself or I am not going to attempt suicide, I am going to commit suicide. A patient may call a therapist and leave the telephone to carry out the suicidal plan.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
This scenario presents a potential crisis. Establishing rapport facilitates a therapeutic alliance that will allow the nurse to obtain relevant assessment data such as the presence of a suicide plan, lethality of plan, and presence of risk factors for suicide.

gonzo233

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

nyrave

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, lung disease is the third leading killer in the United States, responsible for one in seven deaths. It is the leading cause of death among infants under the age of one year.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library