This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse and patient construct a no-suicide contract. Select the preferable wording. a. I will not ... (Read 23 times)

gonzo233

A nurse and patient construct a no-suicide contract. Select the preferable wording.

a. I will not try to harm myself during the next 24 hours.
  b. I will not make a suicide attempt while I am hospitalized.
  c. For the next 24 hours, I will not in any way attempt to harm or kill myself.
  d. I will not kill myself until I call my primary nurse or a member of the staff.

Question 2

A tearful, anxious patient at the outpatient clinic reports, I should be dead. The initial task of the nurse conducting the assessment interview is to:

a. assess lethality of suicide plan.
  b. encourage expression of anger.
  c. establish rapport with the patient.
  d. determine risk factors for suicide.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kiamars2010

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The correct answer leaves no loopholes. The wording about not harming oneself and not making an attempt leaves loopholes or can be ignored by the patient who thinks I am not going to harm myself, I am going to kill myself or I am not going to attempt suicide, I am going to commit suicide. A patient may call a therapist and leave the telephone to carry out the suicidal plan.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
This scenario presents a potential crisis. Establishing rapport facilitates a therapeutic alliance that will allow the nurse to obtain relevant assessment data such as the presence of a suicide plan, lethality of plan, and presence of risk factors for suicide.

gonzo233

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Dnite

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

It is important to read food labels and choose foods with low cholesterol and saturated trans fat. You should limit saturated fat to no higher than 6% of daily calories.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library