This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nursing diagnosis appropriate to consider for a patient diagnosed with any of the personality ... (Read 86 times)

karen

A nursing diagnosis appropriate to consider for a patient diagnosed with any of the personality disorders is:

a. noncompliance.
  b. impaired social interaction.
  c. disturbed personal identity.
  d. diversional activity deficit.

Question 2

A patient says, The other nurses won't give me my medication early, but you know what it's like to be in pain and don't let your patients suffer. Could you get me my pill now? I won't tell anyone. Which response by the nurse would be most therapeutic?

a. I'm not comfortable doing that, and then ignore subsequent requests for early medication.
  b. I understand that you have pain, but giving medicine too soon would not be safe.
  c. I'll have to check with your doctor about that; I will get back to you after I do.
  d. It would be unsafe to give the medicine early; none of us will do that.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

morrie123456

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Without exception, individuals with personality disorders have problems with social interaction with others, hence, the diagnosis of impaired social interaction. For example, some individuals are suspicious and lack trust, others are avoidant, and still others are manipulative. None of the other diagnoses are universally applicable to patients with personality disorders; each might apply to selected clinical diagnoses, but not to others.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The patient is attempting to manipulate the nurse. Empathetic mirroring reflects back to the patient the nurse's understanding of the patient's distress or situation in a neutral manner that does not judge it and helps elicit a more positive response to the limit that is being set. The other options would not be nontherapeutic; they lack the empathetic mirroring component that tends to elicit a more positive response from the patient.

karen

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

phuda

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

Did you know?

The term bacteria was devised in the 19th century by German biologist Ferdinand Cohn. He based it on the Greek word "bakterion" meaning a small rod or staff. Cohn is considered to be the father of modern bacteriology.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library