Author Question: Disturbed body image is a nursing diagnosis established for a patient diagnosed with an eating ... (Read 34 times)

Deast7027

Disturbed body image is a nursing diagnosis established for a patient diagnosed with an eating disorder. Which outcome indicator is most appropriate to monitor?

a. Weight, muscle, and fat congruence with height, frame, age, and sex
  b. Calorie intake is within required parameters of treatment plan
  c. Weight reaches established normal range for the patient
  d. Patient expresses satisfaction with body appearance

Question 2

A patient diagnosed with a somatic symptom disorder says, Why has God chosen me to be sick all the time and unable to provide for my family? The burden on my family is worse than the pain I bear. Which nursing diagnoses apply to this patient?

Select all that apply.

a. Spiritual distress
  b. Decisional conflict
  c. Adult failure to thrive
  d. Impaired social interaction
  e. Ineffective role performance

Liamb2179

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Body image disturbances are considered improved or resolved when the patient is consistently satisfied with his or her own appearance and body function. This is a subjective consideration. The other indicators are more objective but less related to the nursing diagnosis.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A, E
The patient's verbalization is consistent with spiritual distress. The patient's description of being unable to provide for and burdening the family indicates ineffective role performance. No data support diagnoses of adult failure to thrive, impaired social interaction, or decisional conflict.