This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient diagnosed with anorexia nervosa virtually stopped eating 5 months ago and lost 25 of body ... (Read 28 times)

Wadzanai

A patient diagnosed with anorexia nervosa virtually stopped eating 5 months ago and lost 25 of body weight. A nurse asks, Describe what you think about your present weight and how you look.

Which response by the patient is most consistent with the diagnosis?

a. I am fat and ugly.
  b. What I think about myself is my business.
  c. I'm grossly underweight, but that's what I want.
  d. I'm a few pounds overweight, but I can live with it.

Question 2

A patient referred to the eating disorders clinic has lost 35 pounds during the past 3 months. To assess eating patterns, the nurse should ask the patient:

a. Do you often feel fat?
  b. Who plans the family meals?
  c. What do you eat in a typical day?
  d. What do you think about your present weight?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ally

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Untreated patients with anorexia nervosa do not recognize their thinness. They perceive themselves to be overweight and unattractive. The patient with anorexia will usually tell people perceptions of self. The patient with anorexia does not recognize his or her thinness and will persist in trying to lose more weight.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Although all the questions might be appropriate to ask, only What do you eat in a typical day? focuses on the eating patterns. Asking if the patient often feels fat focuses on distortions in body image. Questions about family meal planning are unrelated to eating patterns. Asking for the patient's thoughts on present weight explores the patient's feelings about weight.

Wadzanai

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

okolip

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

The most common childhood diseases include croup, chickenpox, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, ringworm, respiratory syncytial virus, scabies, head lice, and asthma.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library