This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A cruel and abusive person often uses rationalization to explain the behavior. Which comment ... (Read 37 times)

michelleunicorn

A cruel and abusive person often uses rationalization to explain the behavior. Which comment demonstrates use of this defense mechanism?

a. I don't know why I do mean things.
  b. I have always had poor impulse control.
  c. That person should not have provoked me.
  d. I'm really a coward who is afraid of being hurt.

Question 2

A nurse assesses an individual who commonly experiences anxiety. Which comment by this person indicates the possibility of obsessive-compulsive disorder?

a. I check where my car keys are eight times.
  b. My legs often feel weak and spastic.
  c. I'm embarrassed to go out in public.
  d. I keep reliving a car accident.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

blakeserpa

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Rationalization consists of justifying one's unacceptable behavior by developing explanations that satisfy the teller and attempt to satisfy the listener. The abuser is suggesting that the abuse is not his or her fault; it would not have occurred except for the provocation by the other person. The distracters indicate some measure of acceptance of responsibility for the behavior.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Recurring doubt (obsessive thinking) and the need to check (compulsive behavior) suggest obsessive-compulsive disorder. The repetitive behavior is designed to decrease anxiety but fails and must be repeated. Stating My legs feel weak most of the time is more in keeping with a somatic disorder. Being embarrassed to go out in public is associated with an avoidant personality disorder. Reliving a traumatic event is associated with posttraumatic stress disorder. See relationship to audience response question.

michelleunicorn

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

brbarasa

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

HIV testing reach is still limited. An estimated 40% of people with HIV (more than 14 million) remain undiagnosed and do not know their infection status.

Did you know?

The highest suicide rate in the United States is among people ages 65 years and older. Almost 15% of people in this age group commit suicide every year.

Did you know?

As many as 28% of hospitalized patients requiring mechanical ventilators to help them breathe (for more than 48 hours) will develop ventilator-associated pneumonia. Current therapy involves intravenous antibiotics, but new antibiotics that can be inhaled (and more directly treat the infection) are being developed.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library