This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient fearfully runs from chair to chair crying, They're coming They're coming The patient does ... (Read 21 times)

a0266361136

A patient fearfully runs from chair to chair crying, They're coming They're coming The patient does not follow the staff's directions or respond to verbal interventions. The initial nursing intervention of highest priority is to:

a. provide for the patient's safety.
  b. encourage clarification of feelings.
  c. respect the patient's personal space.
  d. offer an outlet for the patient's energy.

Question 2

A woman is 5'7, 160 lbs, and wears a size 8 shoe. She says, My feet are huge. I've asked three orthopedists to surgically reduce my feet.

This person tries to buy shoes to make her feet look smaller and, in social settings, conceals both feet under a table or chair. Which health problem is likely?

a. Social anxiety disorder
  b. Body dysmorphic disorder
  c. Separation anxiety disorder
  d. Obsessive-compulsive disorder due to a medical condition

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

johnharpe

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Safety is of highest priority because the patient experiencing panic is at high risk for self-injury related to increased non-goal-directed motor activity, distorted perceptions, and disordered thoughts. Offering an outlet for the patient's energy can occur when the current panic level subsides. Respecting the patient's personal space is a lower priority than safety. Clarification of feelings cannot take place until the level of anxiety is lowered.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Body dysmorphic disorder refers to a preoccupation with an imagined defect in appearance in a normal-appearing person. The patient's feet are proportional to the rest of the body. In obsessive-compulsive or related disorder due to a medical condition, the individual's symptoms of obsessions and compulsions are a direct physiological result of a medical condition. Social anxiety disorder, also called social phobia, is characterized by severe anxiety or fear provoked by exposure to a social or a performance situation that will be evaluated negatively by others. People with separation anxiety disorder exhibit developmentally inappropriate levels of concern over being away from a significant other.

a0266361136

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

rleezy04

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library