This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse and patient discuss a problem the patient has kept secret for many years. Afterward the ... (Read 14 times)

jon_i

A nurse and patient discuss a problem the patient has kept secret for many years. Afterward the patient says, I feel so relieved that I finally told somebody. Which term best describes the patient's feeling?

a. Catharsis
  b. Superego
  c. Cognitive distortion
  d. Counter-transference

Question 2

A patient is fearful of riding on elevators. The therapist first rides an escalator with the patient. The therapist and patient then stand in an elevator with the door open for five minutes and later with the elevator door closed for five minutes.

Which technique has the therapist used?

a. Classic psychoanalytic therapy
  b. Systematic desensitization
  c. Rational emotive therapy
  d. Biofeedback

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Natalie4ever

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Freud initially used talk therapy, known as the cathartic method. Today we refer to catharsis as getting things off our chests. The superego represents the moral component of personality.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Systematic desensitization is a form of behavior modification therapy that involves the development of behavior tasks customized to the patient's specific fears. These tasks are presented to the patient while using learned relaxation techniques. The patient is incrementally exposed to the fear.

jon_i

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

mcabuhat

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library