This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse and patient discuss a problem the patient has kept secret for many years. Afterward the ... (Read 13 times)

jon_i

A nurse and patient discuss a problem the patient has kept secret for many years. Afterward the patient says, I feel so relieved that I finally told somebody. Which term best describes the patient's feeling?

a. Catharsis
  b. Superego
  c. Cognitive distortion
  d. Counter-transference

Question 2

A patient is fearful of riding on elevators. The therapist first rides an escalator with the patient. The therapist and patient then stand in an elevator with the door open for five minutes and later with the elevator door closed for five minutes.

Which technique has the therapist used?

a. Classic psychoanalytic therapy
  b. Systematic desensitization
  c. Rational emotive therapy
  d. Biofeedback

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Natalie4ever

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Freud initially used talk therapy, known as the cathartic method. Today we refer to catharsis as getting things off our chests. The superego represents the moral component of personality.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Systematic desensitization is a form of behavior modification therapy that involves the development of behavior tasks customized to the patient's specific fears. These tasks are presented to the patient while using learned relaxation techniques. The patient is incrementally exposed to the fear.

jon_i

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

samiel-sayed

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

Did you know?

As of mid-2016, 18.2 million people were receiving advanced retroviral therapy (ART) worldwide. This represents between 43–50% of the 34–39.8 million people living with HIV.

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

Did you know?

Persons who overdose with cardiac glycosides have a better chance of overall survival if they can survive the first 24 hours after the overdose.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library