Author Question: A client with a long-standing diagnosis of HIV has been admitted to the hospital for the treatment ... (Read 9 times)

tatyanajohnson

A client with a long-standing diagnosis of HIV has been admitted to the hospital for the treatment of an opportunistic infection.

Which of the client's following statements suggests that the client may be in the fourth stage of the grief reaction to AIDS diagnosis?

A) I'm determined to beat this thing. Don't tell me that no one is ever cured of AIDS.
  B) I never, ever thought that something like this would ever happen to me.
  C) As much as I don't like it, I can say that I've come to terms with the fact that I have AIDS.
  D) When I get out of here, I'm determined to take on a new career.

Question 2

The nurse is conducting an assessment of a client who has recently been diagnosed with HIV. Which of the following nursing diagnoses is typical of early-phase assessment?

A) Readiness for Enhanced Self-Concept related to the diagnosis of HIV/AIDS
  B) Ineffective Health Maintenance related to failure to comply with medication regimen
  C) Ineffective Denial related to unwillingness to accept diagnosis of HIV/AIDS
  D) Impaired Mobility related to muscle wasting due to HIV/AIDS

KKcool

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C
Resolution and acceptance characterize the fourth stage of the grief reaction to AIDS diagnosis. This does not involve expectations that may be unrealistic (such as starting a new career or being wholly cured of the disease).

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
Denial is a characteristic clinical phenomenon of early-phase HIV/AIDS. Impaired mobility and failure to comply with a medication regimen would be more likely to exist in later phases. Self-concept is more likely to be impaired rather than enhanced.