Author Question: A patient has been admitted to the hospital with anemia and a gastrointestinal bleed secondary to ... (Read 24 times)

xclash

A patient has been admitted to the hospital with anemia and a gastrointestinal bleed secondary to alcohol use. During a discussion with the nurse about his drinking, the patient stated,

Obviously I can see that there's a problem with me, but what it comes down to is that I'm just not sure I'm ready to quit. What stage of change is this patient most clearly exemplifying?

A) Precontemplation
  B) Contemplation
  C) Relapse
  D) Preparation

Question 2

As a component of the standard nursing admission assessment at the hospital, a nurse is using the CAGE tool. Which of the following questions will the nurse ask the client?

A) Do you consider yourself to be an alcoholic?
  B) Have you ever felt like you should cut down on your drinking?
  C) How many drinks do you have in a typical week?
  D) Have you ever required medical treatment for an illness related to alcohol use?

itsakadoozi

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
The contemplation stage of change is characterized by an awareness of the substance-related problem but the patient or client does not possess the motivation to change at this time. Precontemplation is associated with unawareness of the problem, and preparation involves getting ready to change. A relapse is a return to substance use following an attempt to cease.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
The CAGE tool involves a list of four questions: (1) Have you ever felt you ought to Cut down on your drinking? (2) Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking? (3) Have you ever felt bad or Guilty about your drinking? (4) Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover (Eye-opener)?