Author Question: A client is emerging from anesthesia following ECT. The client is agitated and incoherent. The nurse ... (Read 37 times)

Frost2351

A client is emerging from anesthesia following ECT. The client is agitated and incoherent. The nurse may expect to administer which medication to stabilize these symptoms?

A) Diazepam
  B) Brevital
  C) Robinul
  D) Caffeine

Question 2

You are working with a 56-year-old female who is a candidate for ECT. The client states, I would think about doing this ECT, but I heard that I won't remember anything after I wake up, and that scares me very much.

The most therapeutic nursing response to the client's statement is what?

A) Don't worry; you will be just fine after ECT. Lots of people are afraid of losing their memory, but it's not really a problem.
  B) Who told you that? It's not really much of an issue with ECT. Sometimes people do lose some of their memory, but it is not a long-term problem.
  C) I hear what you are saying. What is it that makes you so afraid of losing your memory?
  D) I understand your concern. You may experience some short-term memory loss right after the procedure, but it is not a long-term effect.

macagnavarro

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
When postictal agitation occurs, the client may require intravenous diazepam (Valium). During the ECT procedure, the client is given a quick-acting anesthetic, such as Brevital, after being placed on a padded mat or table. An atropine-like drug, Robinul, is given to dry up body secretions and prevent aspiration. Caffeine would be an inappropriate drug to give this patient for these symptoms.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
The correct answer provides empathy for the client's concerns, followed by patient teaching about the effects of ECT. Memory loss after ECT is usually short term, with a return to normal function in a few days or weeks.