This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Kim, a nursing student, is admittedly nervous about beginning her upcoming clinical rotation in a ... (Read 46 times)

dollx

Kim, a nursing student, is admittedly nervous about beginning her upcoming clinical rotation in a psychiatric setting. Reflection on which of the following questions may aid Kim's readiness for this new care setting?

A) Why do I have to do this clinical rotation if my goal is to work in obstetrics?
  B) What do I envision about these clients that makes me uneasy?
  C) What should I do when I encounter clients who may never recover from their mental illness?
  D) What if I pick up some of the poor coping strategies that psychiatric clients use?

Question 2

Frequently, psychiatric clients are stereotyped by the public. Which of the following is a common stereotype of this client population?

A) Calm
  B) Self-centered
  C) Violent
  D) Wealthy

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

scrocafella

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
Identify one's specific fears and apprehensions around providing care in the psychiatric setting that can foster the self-awareness that is necessary to provide good care. Expressing resentment for the rotation will benefit neither the student nor the clients she cares for. Fears of catching mental illness or worrying about what to do with clients who are unlikely to recover are concerns that need to be addressed, but neither question promotes self-awareness.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
Psychiatric clients are often stereotyped or categorized by the public as being poor, violent, confused, or unable to care for themselves.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

Did you know?

According to animal studies, the typical American diet is damaging to the liver and may result in allergies, low energy, digestive problems, and a lack of ability to detoxify harmful substances.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library