This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Kim, a nursing student, is admittedly nervous about beginning her upcoming clinical rotation in a ... (Read 49 times)

dollx

Kim, a nursing student, is admittedly nervous about beginning her upcoming clinical rotation in a psychiatric setting. Reflection on which of the following questions may aid Kim's readiness for this new care setting?

A) Why do I have to do this clinical rotation if my goal is to work in obstetrics?
  B) What do I envision about these clients that makes me uneasy?
  C) What should I do when I encounter clients who may never recover from their mental illness?
  D) What if I pick up some of the poor coping strategies that psychiatric clients use?

Question 2

Frequently, psychiatric clients are stereotyped by the public. Which of the following is a common stereotype of this client population?

A) Calm
  B) Self-centered
  C) Violent
  D) Wealthy

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

scrocafella

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
Identify one's specific fears and apprehensions around providing care in the psychiatric setting that can foster the self-awareness that is necessary to provide good care. Expressing resentment for the rotation will benefit neither the student nor the clients she cares for. Fears of catching mental illness or worrying about what to do with clients who are unlikely to recover are concerns that need to be addressed, but neither question promotes self-awareness.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
Psychiatric clients are often stereotyped or categorized by the public as being poor, violent, confused, or unable to care for themselves.

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library