This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An adult tells the nurse, I'm taking large doses of vitamin B. I read that it prevents AD, but I ... (Read 24 times)

plus1

An adult tells the nurse, I'm taking large doses of vitamin B. I read that it prevents AD, but I don't understand how it works. Which statements would be applicable as the nurse responds to the individual? Select all that apply.

a. Research has not proven the effectiveness of B vitamins in Alzheimer's prevention.
  b. B vitamins lower the amino acid homocysteine, which is associated with a lower incidence of AD.
  c. A favorable response occurs when these vitamins block NMDA.
  d. B vitamins may reduce risk of AD by lowering cholesterol levels.
  e. B vitamins reduce the body's inflammatory response.

Question 2

What is the purpose of the DSM-V?

a. It provides a detailed list of clinical psychiatric disorders.
  b. It details data and statistics about mental disorders in the United States.
  c. It serves as the official American resource manual detailing diagnostic criteria of psychiatric disorders.
  d. It acts as a compendium of the international demographics of substance abuse and mental disorders.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

phuda

Answer to Question 1

A, B
The keyed statements provide correct information regarding the inconclusiveness of B vitamin therapy in prevention of AD and its effects on lowering Homocysteine levels. The distracters provide misleading or incorrect information.

Answer to Question 2

C
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, Fifth Edition (DSM-V) is published by the American Psychiatric Association. It provides diagnostic criteria for mental and substance abuse disorders and is used throughout the United States. The other options are not descriptive of the DSM-V.

plus1

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

cpetit11

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library