Author Question: When assessing for a positive outcome to drug therapy with fluphenazine (Prolixin), the nurse would ... (Read 42 times)

Haya94

When assessing for a positive outcome to drug therapy with fluphenazine (Prolixin), the nurse would look primarily for improvement in

a. hallucinations.
  b. range of affect.
  c. personal hygiene.
  d. social interactions.

Question 2

What is the best analysis of this described nurse-patient interaction?
  Patient

I get discouraged when I realize I've been struggling with my problems for over a year.
  Nurse: Yes you have, but many people take even longer to resolve their issues. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.
  a. The nurse has responded ineffectively to the patient's concerns.
  b. The patient is expressing lack of willingness to collaborate with the nurse.
  c. The patient is offering the opportunity for the nurse to revise the plan of care.
  d. The nurse is using techniques that are consistent with the evaluation step of the nursing process.

ciecieme

Answer to Question 1

A
Fluphenazine, a typical antipsychotic, will produce improvement in the positive symptoms associated with schizophrenia, such as hallucinations. Less improvement is expected in negative symptoms such as affect, activity, and grooming.

Answer to Question 2

A
In this response, the nurse has minimized the patient's feelings and problems, used clichs, and given adviceall considered ineffective responses. None of the other options provides an accurate assessment of the interaction.