Author Question: An involuntarily admitted inpatient with paranoid schizophrenia repeatedly calls the local mayor. ... (Read 11 times)

pane00

An involuntarily admitted inpatient with paranoid schizophrenia repeatedly calls the local mayor. The patient verbally abuses the person who answers the phone as well as the mayor. Select the most appropriate initial nursing intervention.

a. Allow the patient to continue to use the phone.
  b. Include the patient in a social skills building group.
  c. Suspend the patient's phone privileges temporarily, and document the reason.
  d. Ask the patient advocate to review the limits of the patient's rights with the patient.

Question 2

A former pediatric nurse begins working in a clinic housed in a homeless shelter. The nurse asks the clinic director, What topic should I review to improve my effectiveness as I begin my new job? Which topic should the clinic director suggest?

a. Care of school-age children
  b. Psychiatric and substance abuse assessment
  c. Communicable disease prevention strategies
  d. Sexually transmitted disease signs and symptoms

ecox1012

Answer to Question 1

C
The nurse should document that the patient's calls violated the rights of others, thus providing a basis for temporary suspension of the right to make phone calls to the mayor's office. Allowing continued calls violates the rights of others. It might require several days for the advocate to meet with the patient.

Answer to Question 2

B
It is estimated that significant numbers of the homeless population have a serious mental illness and/or suffer from substance abuse or dependence. Although the other conditions may exist, the numbers are not as significant.