Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient who tells the nurse, I attempted suicide last year but I feel like ... (Read 52 times)

bb

The nurse is caring for a patient who tells the nurse, I attempted suicide last year but I feel like I am doing better now. On what will the nurse focus during patient education?

1. Emphasizing that the patient seek and use resources to prevent a suicide attempt
  2. Encouraging the patient to call family members for support when having feelings of suicide
  3. Developing a pamphlet of information that the patient will use to increase knowledge on suicide prevention
  4. Encouraging the patient attend a support group with other individuals who have attempted suicide

Question 2

The nurse is caring for four patients at risk for suicide. Which patient would benefit most from tertiary prevention of suicide?

1. The patient who presents to the primary care clinic for an annual wellness exam
  2. The patient who presents to the local urgent care expressing hopelessness
  3. The patient who presents to the emergency department after surviving a suicide attempt
  4. The patient who presents to the outpatient clinic who has survived a previous suicide attempt

bdobbins

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 4
Explanation: Tertiary intervention addresses the needs of individuals who have survived a suicide attempt and are on the road to recovery. Encouraging the patient attend a support group with other individuals who have attempted suicide is an example of a tertiary intervention. Encouraging the use of resources and the use of family support are secondary interventions. Developing a pamphlet is a primary level intervention.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 4
Explanation: Tertiary intervention involves interventions after the person has survived a suicidal gesture and is on the road to recovery. The goal is to assist the individual in problem solving and connecting with a support system to prevent a recurrence of suicidal thoughts and enhance day-to-day functioning. The patient who is having an annual well exam will best benefit from primary intervention. Secondary intervention is best for patients who seek resources with symptoms of hopelessness or after a suicide attempt.