This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is assessing four patients for a risk for suicide. According to the Level of Suicidal ... (Read 59 times)

mckennatimberlake

The nurse is assessing four patients for a risk for suicide. According to the Level of Suicidal Severity Index, which patient statement indicates the greatest risk for suicide?

1. I have no reason to live anymore, and suicide is my only option.
  2. I think committing suicide will help to solve all the problems I have.
  3. I plan to commit suicide by overdosing on prescription pain medication.
  4. I sometimes think about how suicide might solve my problems, but I would never do it.

Question 2

When assessing a patient's suicidal ideations and level of risk, which question most appropriately conveys empathy?

1. Do you have any firearms?
  2. What struggles in your life are upsetting you?
  3. Do you ever feel like you want to hurt yourself?
  4. Is there anything you could do now to make yourself feel better?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

daiying98

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 1
Explanation: The Level of Suicidal Severity Index is a tool used by nurses and clinicians in the comprehensive assessment of a patient's risk for suicide. This index categories the patient's thoughts of suicide into five various stages of severity. The patient who can no longer identify any protective measures or a reason for living is in Stage V, and is at greatest risk for suicide. The patient who states, I have no reason to live anymore and suicide is my only option is best demonstrating Stage V. The patient in Stage III is beginning to consider suicide as an option for problem solving. The patient who has a plan for suicide and method to carry out the strategy is in Stage IV. The patient who begins to have fleeting thoughts of suicide, followed by thoughts that dismiss suicide is in Stage II.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 2
Explanation: When assessing a patient's suicidal ideations and level of risk, the nurse will ask questions that either establish empathy or directly assess the patient's suicide ideation. Asking the patient, What struggles in your life are upsetting you? best conveys empathy by the nurse. Asking if patients own firearms, feel like they want to hurt themselves, or if there is anything that will make them feel better are appropriate questions to ask; however, these do not convey empathy.

mckennatimberlake

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

tanna.moeller

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The average person is easily confused by the terms pharmaceutics and pharmacology, thinking they are one and the same. Whereas pharmaceutics is the science of preparing and dispensing drugs (otherwise known as the science of pharmacy), pharmacology is the study of medications.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

Did you know?

Human kidneys will clean about 1 million gallons of blood in an average lifetime.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library