This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder (DID). Which ... (Read 26 times)

captainjonesify

The nurse is caring for a patient diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder (DID). Which statements by the patient best describes the manifestations of this disorder? Select all that apply.

1. I feel like my body is here but my mind is not.
  2. I have chronic pain, not a psychological problem.
  3. I can't really find any words to describe my feelings.
  4. I sometimes feel like I am floating in the air looking down at myself.
  5. I cannot recall the events that happened during certain periods of time.

Question 2

A patient diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder is in the emergency department after attempting suicide. After a thorough assessment the nurse determines the attempted suicide was in response to which event?

1. Drug abuse and living homeless on streets
  2. Childhood sexual abuse by biological father
  3. Unidentified continuous abdominal and neck pain
  4. Multiple somatic and psychological issues over the past 6 months

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

1_Step_At_ATime

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 1, 4, 5
Explanation: Dissociative disorders are characterized by a combination of fragmented memories (which may result in fragmented personalities), difficulties with memory recall, and dissociative behavior patterns. Depersonalization, a manifestation of dissociative disorders, is the experience of unreality or detachment from the individual's mind, sense of self, and/or physical body. Dissociations are unwelcome intrusions that occur with losses of continuity of time, changes in ability to relate to others, and amnesia, or the inability to recall what the person was doing during the dissociation. The client stating physical pain, not psychological suffering, is manifesting a somatic symptom. Difficulty describing or discussing feelings is seen in somatic symptom and related disorders.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 2
Explanation: Patients with dissociative identity disorder have sustained horrific physical and psychological abuse over time. These events lead to the patient experiencing multiple ego states that help the patient survive the trauma. Suicidal ideation is common among patients with this disorder. The other answer choices are not indicative of dissociative identity disorder.

captainjonesify

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

mcarey591

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

Did you know?

According to animal studies, the typical American diet is damaging to the liver and may result in allergies, low energy, digestive problems, and a lack of ability to detoxify harmful substances.

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

Vampire bats have a natural anticoagulant in their saliva that permits continuous bleeding after they painlessly open a wound with their incisors. This capillary blood does not cause any significant blood loss to their victims.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library