This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The novice nurse is learning about the various theories of psychological development and the ... (Read 47 times)

RYAN BANYAN

The novice nurse is learning about the various theories of psychological development and the understanding of self. Which are purposes of Harry Stack Sullivan's self-system that the nurse will learn? Select all that apply.

1. Connection
  2. Protection
  3. Self-esteem
  4. Self-definition
  5. Communication

Question 2

The nurse is caring for patient who has major depressive disorder who has recently been terminated from his job. The patient tells the nurse, I just don't know what to do. I identified myself through my work. I don't know who I am anymore.

Which psychological theorist best describes the patient's current identification of self?
  1. Erik Erikson
  2. William James
  3. Abraham Maslow
  4. Harry Stack Sullivan

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

AISCAMPING

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 1, 2, 4
Explanation: Twentieth-century psychiatrist Harry Stack Sullivan built on the work of James and Freud with his emphasis on the impact of the interpersonal experience on the intrapsychic development. He described a self-system consisting of the self-images reflected from interactions with one's environment, the good me, the bad me, and the not me. Sullivan stated that this self-system served three purposes: connection, self-definition, and protection. Communication and self-esteem are not purposes of Sullivan's self-system.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 2
Explanation: William James established the framework for modern psychology and psychiatry that attends to the person as both one who experiences and is aware of the process of experiencing. It is this concept that explains how a loss of a job may lead to a sense of loss of self. The other theorists listed did not develop the concept linking loss of self to certain meaningful losses such as the loss of a job or moving from a well-loved community.

RYAN BANYAN

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

DylanD1323

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

Did you know?

Approximately 15–25% of recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage. However, many miscarriages often occur before a woman even knows she is pregnant.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

The National Institutes of Health have supported research into acupuncture. This has shown that acupuncture significantly reduced pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, when used as a complement to conventional therapies.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library