This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The novice nurse is learning about the various theories of psychological development and the ... (Read 54 times)

RYAN BANYAN

The novice nurse is learning about the various theories of psychological development and the understanding of self. Which are purposes of Harry Stack Sullivan's self-system that the nurse will learn? Select all that apply.

1. Connection
  2. Protection
  3. Self-esteem
  4. Self-definition
  5. Communication

Question 2

The nurse is caring for patient who has major depressive disorder who has recently been terminated from his job. The patient tells the nurse, I just don't know what to do. I identified myself through my work. I don't know who I am anymore.

Which psychological theorist best describes the patient's current identification of self?
  1. Erik Erikson
  2. William James
  3. Abraham Maslow
  4. Harry Stack Sullivan

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

AISCAMPING

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 1, 2, 4
Explanation: Twentieth-century psychiatrist Harry Stack Sullivan built on the work of James and Freud with his emphasis on the impact of the interpersonal experience on the intrapsychic development. He described a self-system consisting of the self-images reflected from interactions with one's environment, the good me, the bad me, and the not me. Sullivan stated that this self-system served three purposes: connection, self-definition, and protection. Communication and self-esteem are not purposes of Sullivan's self-system.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 2
Explanation: William James established the framework for modern psychology and psychiatry that attends to the person as both one who experiences and is aware of the process of experiencing. It is this concept that explains how a loss of a job may lead to a sense of loss of self. The other theorists listed did not develop the concept linking loss of self to certain meaningful losses such as the loss of a job or moving from a well-loved community.

RYAN BANYAN

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

nathang24

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

Did you know?

One way to reduce acid reflux is to lose two or three pounds. Most people lose weight in the belly area first when they increase exercise, meaning that heartburn can be reduced quickly by this method.

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

Side effects from substance abuse include nausea, dehydration, reduced productivitiy, and dependence. Though these effects usually worsen over time, the constant need for the substance often overcomes rational thinking.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library