This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Your patient has a long history of alcohol abuse. You know that denial is a frequently used defense ... (Read 37 times)

SGallaher96

Your patient has a long history of alcohol abuse. You know that denial is a frequently used defense mechanism. Which statement is indicative of denial?

A.
  My father was a drinker so I guess that led me to this.
  B.
  I can stop anytime I want, I just don't feel like it now.
  C.
  Drinking calms my nerves.
  D.
  I drink when my kids upset me.

Question 2

Which of the following statements from an alcoholic patient reflects a good understanding of his or her condition?

A.
  I will stick to wine or beer from now on.
  B.
  I'll be OK if my wife will just stop nagging me.
  C.
  I plan to take my sobriety 1 day at a time.
  D.
  I won't need AA after I am sober for 1 year.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mathjasmine

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
This response indicates the person is minimizing or not acknowledging that he or she has a problem. In the other responses the patient is acknowledging drinking but rationalizing the causes.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Responses A, B, and D all reinforce use of ineffective defense mechanisms, including denial, rationalization, and minimization. Response C reflects understanding of the disease as a lifelong struggle.

SGallaher96

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

cici

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library