This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Your patient has a long history of alcohol abuse. You know that denial is a frequently used defense ... (Read 38 times)

SGallaher96

Your patient has a long history of alcohol abuse. You know that denial is a frequently used defense mechanism. Which statement is indicative of denial?

A.
  My father was a drinker so I guess that led me to this.
  B.
  I can stop anytime I want, I just don't feel like it now.
  C.
  Drinking calms my nerves.
  D.
  I drink when my kids upset me.

Question 2

Which of the following statements from an alcoholic patient reflects a good understanding of his or her condition?

A.
  I will stick to wine or beer from now on.
  B.
  I'll be OK if my wife will just stop nagging me.
  C.
  I plan to take my sobriety 1 day at a time.
  D.
  I won't need AA after I am sober for 1 year.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mathjasmine

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
This response indicates the person is minimizing or not acknowledging that he or she has a problem. In the other responses the patient is acknowledging drinking but rationalizing the causes.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Responses A, B, and D all reinforce use of ineffective defense mechanisms, including denial, rationalization, and minimization. Response C reflects understanding of the disease as a lifelong struggle.

SGallaher96

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

tranoy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

Did you know?

Signs of depression include feeling sad most of the time for 2 weeks or longer; loss of interest in things normally enjoyed; lack of energy; sleep and appetite disturbances; weight changes; feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, or worthlessness; an inability to make decisions; and thoughts of death and suicide.

Did you know?

After a vasectomy, it takes about 12 ejaculations to clear out sperm that were already beyond the blocked area.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library