Author Question: Your patient with major depression tells you he suffers from urinary retention. Which medication ... (Read 102 times)

Redwolflake15

Your patient with major depression tells you he suffers from urinary retention. Which medication would be most likely to cause this?

A.
  Amitriptyline
  B.
  Duloxetine
  C.
  Carbamazepine
  D.
  Ritalin

Question 2

You are caring for an older adult who is recently widowed. She says, No one cares if I die. Everyone I ever loved is dead. What is the best response?

A.
  I am sure that you still have people who care about you.
  B.
  You sound like you are feeling all alone.
  C.
  Boy, that is depressing.
  D.
  I don't believe that.

cassie_ragen

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant and is known to cause anticholinergic effects such as urinary retention.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
By translating words into feelings you are helping her focus on why she is feeling low. Responses A and D disavow her reality, and response C expresses the nurse's sense of being overwhelmed.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

The largest baby ever born weighed more than 23 pounds but died just 11 hours after his birth in 1879. The largest surviving baby was born in October 2009 in Sumatra, Indonesia, and weighed an astounding 19.2 pounds at birth.

Did you know?

About 3.2 billion people, nearly half the world population, are at risk for malaria. In 2015, there are about 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438,000 malaria deaths.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library