This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An adolescent is seen in the health care clinic with complaints of chronic fatigue. On physical ... (Read 22 times)

fasfsadfdsfa

An adolescent is seen in the health care clinic with complaints of chronic fatigue. On physical examination, the nurse notes that the adolescent has swollen lymph nodes.

Laboratory test results indicate the presence of Epstein-Barr virus (mononucleosis). The nurse informs the mother of the test results and provides instruction regarding care of the adolescent. Which of the following statements, if made by the mother, indicates an understanding of care measures? 1. I need to keep my child on bed rest for 3 weeks.
  2. I will call the physician if my child is still feeling tired in 1 week.
  3. I need to isolate my child so that the respiratory infection is not spread to oth-ers.
  4. I need to call the physician if my child complains of abdominal pain or left shoulder pain.

Question 2

The nurse evaluates that the family of a client newly diagnosed with diabetes mellitus correctly understands the reason for having glucagon on hand for emergency home use if the family indicates that the purpose of the medication is to treat:

1. Diabetic ketoacidosis
  2. Hypoglycemia from insulin overdose
  3. Hyperglycemia from insufficient insulin
  4. Hyperglycemia occurring on sick days

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

heinisk01

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The mother needs to be instructed to notify the physician if abdominal pain, especially in the left upper quadrant, or left shoulder pain occurs, because this may indicate splenic rupture. Children with enlarged spleens are also instructed to avoid contact sports until splenomegaly resolves. Bed rest is not necessary, and children usually self-limit their activity. No isolation precautions are required, although transmission can occur via saliva, close intimate contact, or contact with infected blood. The child may still feel tired in 1 week as a result of the virus.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Glucagon is used to treat hypoglycemia resulting from insulin overdose. The family of the client is instructed in how to administer the medication. In an unconscious client, consciousness usually returns within 20 minutes of glucagon injection. After the client has regained consciousness, oral carbohydrates should be given. The other options are incorrect.

fasfsadfdsfa

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

triiciiaa

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

Did you know?

Medication errors are three times higher among children and infants than with adults.

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

Urine turns bright yellow if larger than normal amounts of certain substances are consumed; one of these substances is asparagus.

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library